Monday 19 August 2013

Little treats: Banana Choc chip Nut Loaf








Something I like to do of an evening is cook and sometimes I like to bake, not that often (probably not as often as Jon would like) but when I do one of my favourites is this banana loaf. I used to make a plain banana cake but one day I decided to jazz it up a little with dark chocolate chips and walnuts and I've never looked back, the banana and chocolate together create a lovely gooey texture and the walnuts add a little bit of crunch that is needed. It doesn't look as appetising as your usual pinterest recipe (trust it not to rise when it's being blogged about) but I promise you it's delicious and even got the seal of approval from my Mama who categorically hates everything with banana in and normally refuses to try it, she actually went back for more this time! I'm also just guessing with the measurements as I tend to guess and hope for the best so if you like your precise recipes, look away now because my measurements will make you twitchy.

You will need:

100g Flour, I used Wholemeal but any kind is fine
100g Brown sugar
100g Butter - Preferably unsalted
2 large overripe mashed banana's - They have to be overripe or it just doesn't work
1 Egg
1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
A handful of chopped walnuts
A handful of dark chocolate chips

A pinch of the following:
Baking Powder
Cinnamon

You will also need a loaf tin, a large mixing bowl, scales, Knives and a chopping board, a fork to mash those bananas, a mixer if you have one and a large wooden spoon,

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees,
2. Grease your loaf tin thoroughly , I like to pop a little bit of butter on a piece of greaseproof paper and do it that way so it doesn't get all over my hands.
3. Cream the butter and sugar together in the mixing bowl. When this is done add in the egg and whisk until it is fully mixed in. (this is the part when I casually crack an egg with one hand and feel professional for a little while, I'm not lying, it is yet another of my useless talents.)
4. Add the mashed bananas and vanilla extract and mix. (It will look a little disgusting at this point) 
5. In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add a little to your mixture and mix. Repeat this step until it is all mixed in.
6. Add the walnuts and Chocolate chips.
7, Mix with your wooden spoon. (if you use the mixer it sometimes cuts the walnuts down too much and we don't want that.)
8. Pop into the oven for about an hour, check on it from about 40 minutes on wards as sometimes it can take less time. You can also check it by sticking a knife or a cocktail stick into it to see if it comes out clean. Be careful of sticking it into a chocolate chip as they will be gooey and melty but you won't be able to tell if it is done or not. If you have used wholemeal flour/Brown sugar it's normally as dark as mine but if you have used plain flour/white sugar it will be a lot lighter. Also this recipe tends to rise a little (but not today) but it won't rise too much so it's best to use a small loaf tin.
9. Take it out of the oven and leave to cool. When it's done pop it out of the tin and enjoy. I find it's best with a nice cup of tea. I didn't get a good picture when it came out of the oven as I got overexcited and we ate half of it before I remembered to take a picture, Bad blogger I know. I make this recipe all year round but it's particularly great in the Autumn when it's cold and gloomy outside and you can cosy up inside in front of the fire.

What's your favourite recipe for Banana Loaf? Let me know if you try this one.

1 comment:

  1. Ah this looks amazing, really want to try it out! Love your blog x

    Electra Violet

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your lovely comments, Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message and I will always try and reply to you :) x